An estimated 25-30% of all school-age children in Genesee County are going hungry from the time they leave school on Friday until they return to school the following Monday. As a result, The Backpack Club began with the goal of meeting the needs of these hungry children throughout our school district.
At the inception of the Backpack Club, 9 families (35 children) were receiving weekly food bags. At present, approximately 25-30 families (75-80 children) are currently being served at Le Roy School alone. The program is now effectively operating in Le Roy Central Schools elementary, middle and high school.
Testimonials from children and their families are a regular confirmation that we are "on track" with this outreach. However, we continually strive to improve and increase our effectiveness by looking for special opportunities throughout the year to assist those in need.
• Food items are collected from donors or purchased with program funds.
• A team of volunteers carefully pack the bags and get them ready for pick up.
• Children who receive free meals at school and may experience hunger on the weekends are identified by the school counselors to participate in the Backpack Club program.
• The school designates a "pick-up" area where food bags can be distributed.
• Children enrolled in the program stop by the pick-up area every Friday (or the last day of the school week) before going home. The bag of nonperishable food items can be discreetly placed in their backpack. Our dedicated volunteers generously pack the bags each week with 15-20 items.
A bag typically contains the following:
• Microwavable Mac-n-cheese
• Ramen Noodles
• Single Serving Vegetables
• Cheese on Cheese Crackers
• Toaster Pastry
• Fruit or Applesauce Cup
• Flavored Oatmeal Packet
• Fruit Snacks
• Fruit Juice or Milk
• Drink Mix Packet
• Single Serving Cereal Box
• Potato Chips
• Candy or Treat
• Other Items as Available
How You Can Help
The success of The Backpack Club is made possible by a network of local businesses, community organizations and individuals who partner together in order to "make a difference." This network, along with our outreach volunteers, and committed staff from our school, make a great team!
As it is with any successful outreach, The Backpack Club must have continual donations of funds and supplies in order to serve those in need. Your contributions help make it possible to continue meeting the needs of the children who attend Le Roy Central School.
At this time, we have 20 dedicated volunteers that fill backpacks on Thursday mornings. However, we are always in need of more volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering for this program please call Pastor Colleen O’Connor at 768-7200.
The Backpack Club is a 501(c) (3) organization and all donations are tax deductible.
The Greater Rochester United Way Donor Designation Number for LCCP. is 2482. Your Contributions are Greatly Appreciated!